Wisdom Math Team Wins Region 3-5A Calculator Applications Championship For Fifth Consecutive Time

Wisdoms+2022+UIL+Math+Team+

Fanucchi, David E

Wisdom’s 2022 UIL Math Team

David Fanucchi, News Adviser

THE GENERALS ADVANCE TO THE UIL ACADEMIC STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS MAY 7 AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS IN AUSTIN —

Richmond, Texas – The Wisdom Generals UIL Mathematics Team won the Region 3-5A Championship in the Calculator Applications event by outscoring the runner-up team from Goose Creek Memorial by a score of 707-683, Saturday at the UIL Regionals held at Richmond Foster High School.
Wisdom junior Paul Oh finished as the individual runner-up and earned 2nd place with 252 points, losing a tiebreaker to individual Champion Swayum Gupta from Goose Creek. Senior Bruno Santana took third place with 231 points, while Sophomore Emir Genc was sixth with 224 points. Freshman Miguel Rios was 17th overall with 182 points.
“What an accomplishment,” said Wisdom Math Head Coach Eridani Alcantar, who has been leading the way for the entirety of the Generals’ five-year run. “I’m really proud of this group, because they always seem to rise to the occasion.”
Wisdom’s streak began when they reached the State finals for the first time in 2017. The high point was when they captured the 5A State Championship in Calculator Applications in 2019. The 2020 UIL Academic Championships were not held due to Covid-19. Last year, the Generals won the region and advanced to State, when 2021 UIL events were held remotely online. They finished 4th.
“Our UIL Academic Team is proof of the affect that an invested educator can have on students to maximize academic achievement,” Wisdom Principal Kenneth Brantley said. “We will always be very proud to send students representing Houston ISD to the UIL State Championship in any competition.”
Wisdom also finished as the third place team in the region in the Math Number Sense event. Genc was 8th, Oh finished 9th, and Santana was 22nd. The Generals also had regional qualifiers competing in Journalism for the fifth consecutive year as well.