Wisdom Math Whiz Earns Scholarship to University of Texas

The Santana Family

Marisol Hernandez, Reporter

For the second time in the last two weeks, a Wisdom High School senior was surprised in class by the University of Texas, when representatives arrived with balloons and a scholarship check for $48,000. Bruno Santana – a standout UIL Academic Math Team member and the 6th ranked senior in the Wisdom Class of 2022 – was awarded the opportunity today while sitting in his AP History classroom. He intends to accept the scholarship money and study computer science in Austin.
“It has always been a dream school to me, I am very excited for this opportunity, and I just want to thank everybody here at Wisdom high school,” said Bruno. “I am out of words, I almost cried about it, I am just very grateful honestly. If it wasn’t for all of the people that helped me here on campus, my counselors, and my family, I wouldn’t be here. Especially Coach Alcantar and the the math team.”
The entire Santana family was on hand for the surprise presentation, including Bruno’s parents and his three sisters, one of which was Sara Santana, an outstanding Wisdom graduate in the Class of 2021.
“This is just a testament to the fact that if you do your part, and work hard every day, the opportunity to succeed is there for you,” said Bruno’s father Maurilio, who brought his family to the United States from Brazil in 2019. “That is why America is the greatest country and everyone wants to come here. The teachers and staff at Wisdom High School and within Houston ISD do such an outstanding job in supporting students from all nationalities and backgrounds. We couldn’t be more thankful.”

The Santana family celebrates while Facetiming with friends after Bruno received a scholarship offer to the University of Texas during class.

Wisdom’s UIL Math Coach Eridani Alcantar saw something in Bruno early on, back when he was a freshman. Santana immediately became a member of the Generals’ District 23-5A Math Team and recently finished 2nd in Calculator Applications and 3rd in Math at the HISD District Championships. He will be competing again at the UIL Academic Regionals April 23 at Richmond Foster high school, as he tries to help Wisdom’s Math team advance to State for the third time in the last five years.
“Bruno has always been a really hard worker, he is very responsible, he is a very nice person but he also takes things very seriously,” Alcantar said. “Since the beginning he has been passionate about the UIL academics, the math program that we have here and he has totally invested himself in it, and I am very happy to see him be successful and get a financial scholarship from UT Austin. It also makes me very happy because I am an alumni, and I know that he can get a great education there.”
Back on March 30, Wisdom senior Sebele Tebebu also received a $48,000 scholarship offer from the University of Texas.