Senior Class Still Wondering if they Should go Away to College; Looking at all Options

Mateo Cabrera, Reporter

Graduation is the most anticipated moment for any high school senior. This is the moment that defines their departure from the institution and the beginning of a new life. Many people have definite plans for after graduation, and in fact, many have already started this before they even finish the school year.

Most seniors have a job, college considerations, or have already committed to attend a university. There are many options that we have after receiving our diplomas, but they all open a door to a new reality, and we will have to make some vital decisions.

For some Wisdom high school seniors, it has been difficult to think about what they will do in the future, because they don’t know what they are interested in or what steps to take to reach their next goal. Many see themselves stuck in the same life situation and it is possible that if they don’t take action soon, they will remain there for a long time.

We took a look at a few options to take into account, so you can be more prepared when you look for what best applies to your current situation. In order to have in mind all of the various options, we asked some seniors what they plan to do after graduation. We got a wide variety of answers, but most of them were about continuing their education in college.

College is not the right option for everyone, but the main idea is to gain more education in a specialized area of knowledge in order to continue and reach one’s goals in life. Earning a college degree will open up many opportunities, and it is an intellectual and social preparation period for us as teenagers to enter into adulthood. It is not always necessary to do this in order to have prosperity, but it can bring you many benefits.

Having a college education allows for higher paying careers and has also been shown through studies to lead to a path of happiness and stability.

At the end of the day, all the knowledge you gain from an educational institution is of great help for different situations in life. When deciding what to study, you should think about jobs that are related to your likes and passions.

“A college and University are almost academic equals,” said Ms. Nair, a teacher at Wisdom High School who has been teaching for seven years. “It all depends on the student’s needs, since at the end of the day, the goal of graduating from one is the same.”

Another option is to pursue vocational skills that are in high demand today. This is more commonly known as Trade School, where students learn skilled trades in fields such as technicians, welding, construction, and health and wellness care among others. This is a good alternative to college and it is  usually far less expensive.

The last option, and one of the most talked about, is to look for a job that provides stability but does not require previous experience. This is something that has worked for a long time and which we recommend – depending on your economic situation – and how you present yourself.

“The growth is the main idea, all the experience is worth it for the future,” said Nair. “You can go find a job at a restaurant or selling retail, but don’t ever lose interest in going forward with your studies. If you are feeling hopeless and tired of education, take a break. Look for help and find a new way to reach your goals.”

All these problems can generate great stress; however, you still have some time to think about it. On the other hand, it is important for all seniors to start paying attention to the different aspects they have to complete in order to graduate and start a life abroad. For financial aid; if you are a citizen, you apply for the FAFSA. If you are undocumented, you should look for the TASFA application. Doing this is an HISD graduation requirement, and you must also apply to a university or college through goapplytexas.org.

It is also important to start reviewing your transcripts and consequently your GPA. You must have everything in order, to be able to leave Wisdom without any problems and with your head held high. If you do not know how to carry out all of these procedures, we recommend that you look to the college center in the library for help, so that they can explain these factors as soon as possible.

Finally, we understand that as a senior we have a lot on our shoulders right now, and too many things to worry about. However, this struggle will give you the strength you need to keep going through this process. With just 3 months left to go before we face a new phase in our lives, we know that you can do it and we hope to see great success for you in the future.

RELATED STORY – FROM NBC NEWS:

With campus life in question, some students are taking gap years, attending schools closer to home, transferring to community colleges or even forgoing college altogether