Wisdom Generals Win 5th Consecutive 23-5A UIL Academic Championship in Houston ISD

The+2022+Wisdom+Generals+UIL+Academic+Team+

Wisdom HS

The 2022 Wisdom Generals UIL Academic Team

David Fanucchi, News Adviser

Westbury HS – Houston TX: The Wisdom Generals captured the 2022 District 23-5A UIL Academic Championship by earning the highest overall point total among the 5A high schools, at the Houston ISD UIL Academic Meet held on Saturday, March 26 at Westbury High School. It was the fifth consecutive overall 5A Sweepstakes title (2017, 2018, 2019, 2021 – no competition held in 2020) for Wisdom, as they outscored Energy Institute, Milby, Sterling and Waltrip.

The Generals also won outright district team championships in all three math-related events (Calculator Applications, Number Sense, Math), as well as three Journalism events (News, Feature, and Headline Writing). Math & Journalism have been the core strength of Wisdom’s UIL teams since their 5-year winning streak began in 2017, and their Calculator Apps team captured a 5A State Championship in 2019.

“We have been building a proud history of UIL Academic team success here for several years now,” Head Coach Eridani Alcantar said. “We love keeping our students involved in this competition and we are looking forward to another chance to win at Regionals.”

The Wisdom Generals 2022 UIL Academic Team celebrates with a selfie and some trophies.

Junior Paul Oh has emerged as the leader of Alcantar’s Math team by capturing the district individual title in all three events, while Senior Bruno Santana was 2nd in Calculator and 3rd in Math. Sophomore Emir Genc earned 3rd Place finishes in both Calculator and Number Sense.

The Wisdom Chronicle (www.wisdomshsnews.com) Journalism Team won their fifth consecutive (2017, 18, 19, 21) 23-5A Journalism team title. They were led by News Editor Marisol Hernandez who took home two gold medals by winning both the News Writing and Feature Writing contests for the second consecutive year.

Sophomore Maya Zapon won the Headline Writing competition and was 2nd in both News and Editorial Writing. Wisdom TV News Anchor Charlena Phan placed 2nd in Copy Editing and was 3rd in News and Headline, while Junior Keylin Zuniga was 3rd in Copy Editing, Headline and Feature.

“Marisol is so talented and we really appreciate her leadership,” Wisdom Journalism Coach David Fanucchi said. “Maya, Charlena, and Keylin really stepped up when we needed them to compete today, and I’m proud of them for earning the right to advance to Regionals and lifting us to another district title.”

Here is the list of Wisdom’s Individual District 23-5A Champions for 2022:
Paul Oh – Computer Applications, Number Sense, Math
Marisol Hernandez – News Writing & Feature Writing
Maya Zapon – Headline Writing

The top three individual finishers in all competitions advanced to the Region 3-5A Finals, to be held Saturday, April 23 at Richmond Foster High School.
The list of Wisdom’s second and third place finishers who also advanced to Regionals:
Charlena Phan – Copy Editing (2nd), Headline (2nd), News (3rd)
Maya Zapon – News (2nd)
Keylin Zuniga – Copy Editing (3rd), Feature (3rd), Headline (3rd)
Bruno Santana – Calculator Apps (2nd), Math (3rd)
Emir Genc – Calculator Apps (3rd)
Paul Oh – Feature (2nd)