Wisdom’s UIL Calculator Applications Team Advances to State for the 4th Straight Time

The 2021 Wisdom HS UIL Math Team won the Region 3-5A Championship in Calculator Applications

Wisdom UIL

David Fanucchi, News Adviser

The Wisdom Generals Math Team is going to STATE! That’s right – our UIL Calculator Applications team won the Regional Championship for the 4th consecutive time this past Saturday, in the competition held at Willowridge High School. With a team score of 581 points, they defeated runner-up Waller (559) by 22 points to advance to the State Finals that will be held on Saturday, May 1. Nederland (542) finished 3rd.
The team consists of Sophomore Paul Oh, Sophomore Bruno Santana, Senior Wilmer Salgado and Freshman Emir Genc, and they are coached by Mr. Alcantar, Mr. Cantu & Mrs. Cho.
Oh was the 2nd place winner individually at the Regional, and earned a silver medal, while Santana finished tied for 8th, Salgado tied for 11th, and Genc finished 24th. All four of them became eligible for Scholarship money offered specifically for students that have advanced to the UIL Academic State Championship level.
“We were surprised a bit when the results came back, but these kids worked hard to put themselves into a position, to advance as a team,” said Cantu. “So we are proud to continue this tradition here at Wisdom and build on the legacy that our math team established from 2017-19.”
The UIL Academic events were cancelled in 2020 due to Covid, so the Generals streak of advancing to State in Calculator Applications for the fourth straight time, comes on the heels of the infamous “Mathletes” streak of 3 straight from 2017-19, that included a State Championship in 2019. Those teams were guided by former Principal Jonathan Trinh. This year’s team is under the guidance of Principal Michelle Wagner.
“We love when our students have a chance to compete and display the knowledge and skill that they are learning here at Wisdom,” said Wagner. “Our Math team has always been strong – just as all of our UIL Academic team members are – and we are excited for their opportunity to compete against the best in the state of Texas, and to go for back-to-back championships.”