Reflection on the COVID-19 Pandemic & Online Learning – from Wisdom Chronicle Editors & Reporters

Wisdom Chronicle Editors Mara Nezami (left) and Carolyn Braddock (right)

Staff Reports

We asked our Wisdom Chronicle News Reporters & Editors for their thoughts on five questions this morning (April 29), surrounding the new ways we have been learning, the Coronavirus Pandemic, and what they have missed the most. Here are some of their answers.
How has the online learning situation changed your view about education?
Megan Ahmed: It has taught me so much, and I really do think that this experience will actually benefit us when we get to college, because it teaches you the importance of time management.
Mara Nezami: Remote Learning is definitely different and not the same as regular on campus education. I believe students are more independent, and this has provided students with the opportunity to experience and learn how to handle the work they are responsible for, like college students.
Andrea Morelos: It has taught me that education is something we should always take advantage of, because you never know what could happen. We should appreciate that we receive free education, and we should take it all in, because that advantage could be taken away from us instantly.
Carolyn Braddock: It’s been very different with the way the teachers are handling it. For instance, some of my teachers have been super relaxed, while others have been adding more work than if we were in the school setting. I’m more of a pencil and paper type person.
Roger Castro: It has proven that everyone can receive an education, no matter what your conditions or circumstances are.
Dina Arefaine: Being at school in person is better, and it’s much easier to learn.
Heidy Pineda: Distance learning has helped me realize that I prefer to do my work online, because I have found so many more resources for me to look at and get information.

What has this pandemic helped you understand most about the world we live in?
Megan Ahmed: It has helped me understand how dangerous and cruel this world can be, but also how important it is to stay in touch with your family members and close friends. Being social and communicating with others is something that everyone needs, no matter how introverted you may be. Everyone needs a friend or someone close they can talk to and trust.
Mara Nezami: The world we are living in today is not safe and countries are not ready for situations like this. What has grabbed my attention is that we are not united, most countries just care about their own.
Frank Davila: You have to be grateful for what you have, because most people around the world don’t have the things that you have. Be responsible and think like an adult, because you have to take notice that life is not going to be easy. If you want something in life, you have to work for it and of course stay clean.
Andrea Morelos: This world does not do well in a crisis. At the beginning of this, everyone was freaking out and hoarding groceries, when in reality none of that was necessary. We can all make a major difference in the world, if we were all just a bit cleaner.
Josselyne Ramirez: It has helped me understand that we need to value what we have in life, and to learn how to be more creative in order to stay occupied and have fun.
Heidy Pineda: That we have a lot of people in the world, that just don’t care about their health and other people.
Angie Sanchez-Reyes: Be grateful for what you have.
Carolyn Braddock: No Comment

Will you appreciate the opportunity to attend classes in person once again, when you return to Wisdom High School?
Megan Ahmed: Well, I wish I could go back to our building. I miss my friends, working in class and one on one with my teachers. I work better in class, when I can ask questions right then and there. I become more productive, because at home, I tend to procrastinate. I’m usually comfy, still in my pajamas, and it makes me feel tired & lazy.
Andrea Morelos: I will appreciate it so much more, because I realize that I am lucky to get to go to a school like Wisdom, and to have teachers be there to help me. It will be my senior year, and I need to enjoy the little time I have left in high school.
Roger Castro: Yes. I will appreciate it more, to be at school and have the chance to spend some time with my friends, and to have fun again.
Frank Davila: Of course I would appreciate the chance to go to school again, because I miss my friends and my teachers. I would enjoy their instruction, because this online thing is just not the same.

What are some things that you have been doing at home every day, to help you stay busy?
Megan Ahmed: I’ve been finding new hobbies and outlining my career and college path for HCC and then on to a University I will be transferring to. I’m also doing more research on the career path I want to take, which is Animal Physiotherapy – providing rehabilitative care to animals who have had surgery or been injured or suffer from chronic pain.
Mara Nezami: I have been taking some other online classes to improve my English, practicing on Khan Academy for the SAT test, and applying for some scholarships.
Frank Davila: I have a job at a wood shop that I work every day from 2-10 pm. But in my spare time, I play video games with my friends.
Angie Sanchez-Reyes: I have been doing homework, exercising at home, cooking, taking care of my niece, and doing chores.

What is the one thing you looking forward to doing the most, once the shelter-in-place rules are lifted?
Megan Ahmed: Finally being able to see all my family and friends that I’ve missed so much. It’s been hard to not be able to see everyone close to you, especially for some people whose family members are at the hospital and are unable to visit them.
Mara Nezami: I look forward to going to my mosque, my worship place for Muslims who are following the religion of Islam.