Wisdom Students Weigh In on Positives & Negatives of Distance Learning Situation

Wisdom Students Weigh In on Positives & Negatives of Distance Learning Situation

Mara Nezami, Online Editor

We all understand now that COVID-19 has completely changed the education system for students and teachers, and it has also probably been a bit of shock to parents as well. And, now that Texas Governor Greg Abbott has slammed the door on the remaining portion of our school year, the Class of 2020 will never again be able to step foot on their campus as a student. What a way for them to go out.
“Being a senior in 2020 has been a total roller coaster ride,” said Wisdom senior Fatima Tanvir. “From chaotic online classes to the uncertainty of whether we will even have a graduation ceremony, all I can say is that we will certainly be remembered as a special class. Saving lives by just staying at home? We are all heroes. Who would have thought?”
Social distancing has become our new normal, and to prevent the disease from spreading, the education system has a different view now. Remote or Distance learning is providing students with information and material found online, taught by their teachers from a home office. It’s strange, to say the least.
Traditionally here in America, our school campus is where students get to learn and experience social life. Distance learning has taken that away, and it may be even more complex for some students. For instance, at Wisdom HS, there are many ELL (English Language Learners) students where English is not their primary language, so they are likely having an even more difficult time, than if they were receiving direct help from their teachers.
But it will not be the same while learning online, and with lot of trial and error it is very difficult for other students to complete their given assignments. Also, learning is the institution that presents students with opportunities to meet and interact with people from different locations on various skill levels. Interacting with different people can increase one’s communication skills as well.
The Wisdom Chronicle conducted a poll today of approximately 100 students of various grade levels, and asked them a simple question: “If you would rather go back to school on campus for the remainder of the year, or stay at home and continue with online learning, which would you choose?” Surprisingly, it was a near split, with 52% of students saying that they would rather go back to campus for 8-hour school days, rather than remaining at home for distance learning (48%).
Though students can still connect with classmates and teachers through chat, discussion boards, email and video conferencing, the experience cannot be compared to the one that real life school provides on a campus.
“I think we all need to try to take advantage of every opportunities that life provides us with, especially for a high school student like me,” said junior Zandonda Kitonge. “This is what reality has presented me with, and I have decided to take advantage of it. Remote learning has increased my flexibility. I know it can be very hard to keep up with the school schedule and my duties, but in remote learning, I can pursue and complete my class work without disturbance from other students. Also, it allows me to have more time to study and complete my assignments at my own pace.”