Fletcher Named Wisdom’s Teacher of the Year; Simmons Earns Beginning Teacher Award

Wisdom Chronicle

(L-R): AP Romulo Ramos, AP Rhonda Rhodes, Kimberly Fletcher, Principal Michelle Wagner

Staff Reports

ELA Teacher and Literary Specialist Kimberly Fletcher has been named the Wisdom High School Teacher of the Year for 2019-20, as announced by Principal Michelle Wagner. In addition, CATE Instructor Jennifer Simmons was honored as the Wisdom High School Beginning (First Year) Teacher of the Year.
Fletcher is in her third year teaching newcomers here at Wisdom after spending more than 12 years teaching and implementing curriculum development at Black and Hamilton Middle Schools in Houston ISD. She began her teaching career at HISD’s Davila Elementary and Deady Middle School and has been teaching for more than 22 years in all.
Born in Galveston and a graduate of Clear Lake High School, Fletcher earned a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration from the University of North Texas and a Masters Degree in Education & Administration from Texas Southern. She is fluent in Spanish speaking, reading & writing.
“Being named Teacher of the Year is such a joyous award for any dedicated and hard-working teacher, so I am truly honored to have received this,” Fletcher said. “All of the teachers here at Wisdom are extremely passionate and give their best to the students each day. I am grateful to have been chosen, and I want to thank all of our teachers and staff for the continued support and encouragement. Teaching is truly a collaborative effort.”

Simmons had been in accounting for more than 25 years before deciding to pursue her lifelong desire to be a teacher. In her first year here at Wisdom, Simmons has implemented a wide variety of unique Business Education lesson plans and field trips, while bringing a fresh perspective to the Wisdom CATE department.
Simmons was also named the Houston ISD CATE Department Teacher of the Month for December 2019. She earned a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration from LeTourneau University and held previous positions in accounting with Continental Airlines, Fleetwood Homes, Schlumberger, and Axens.
“This is an absolute honor. I am grateful for an amazing administration team who allows me flexibility with my lessons,” Simmons said. “I believe that a positive, encouraging environment allows students to thrive, but it’s also important to connect students with real-world experiences. I love guest speakers and field trips. Having students with a thirst for knowledge is very encouraging. I count it a privilege and an honor to work alongside some of the greatest colleagues and students, and my hope is that the seeds I plant today will bring forth great fruit in the future.”
Simmons is a graduate of HISD’s Sterling High School.