In Memory of Longtime Wisdom HS Geography Teacher Gary Sliva

Wisdom HS

Wisdom HS

Wisdom HS

David Fanucchi, News Adviser

Longtime Wisdom High School Geography (Social Studies) ESL Teacher Gary Sliva recently passed away, and our school is remembering the eclectic, guitar-playing instructor. Sliva taught here for over 18 years, beginning in 2001 when our school was still named Robert E. Lee.
“Mr. Sliva was so well-liked and appreciated by his Social Studies team, and loved by his students here at Wisdom,” Principal Michelle Wagner said. “On behalf of our entire staff, faculty and administration, we send our condolences to Gary’s family. He will certainly be missed.”
The University of Memphis graduate had an amazing way to teach Geography and Social Studies to freshman and sophomore English-language learners, and would use music as a way to set the tone for a stress-free classroom environment.
He would often be found strumming his electric guitar in class, and would also play prior to school starting in the morning, sending rock n’roll vibes throughout the school hallways.
“As the former Social Studies Teacher Development Specialist here in Houston ISD, I’ve known Mr. Sliva for a long time, and he was a huge part of this department,” Wisdom Assistant Principal Ian Olmstead said. “It was my pleasure to come to Wisdom and have the chance to work with him. May he rest in peace.”
The Wisdom Chronicle’s Broadcast News Production Team put together a video, with memories from several of his colleagues and a message from his current 1st period class. The video is shown above, in this story.