Wisdom’s UIL Academic Team Continues to Stay Sharp

Five members of Wisdom's 2020 Calculator Applications Team

David Fanucchi

David Fanucchi

David Fanucchi

David Fanucchi, News Adviser

The Wisdom Generals UIL Academic Team continued to sharpen their skills Saturday in the Houston ISD 2020 Spring Invitational held at Chavez High School. The Generals finished as the third place team in the overall sweepstakes, behind Energy HS (2nd), and Carnegie Vanguard (1st).
Highlighting the effort for the Generals was their defending UIL 5A State Champion Calculator Applications team that took five out of the top six scores in the event on Saturday, and captured the Calculator Applications Team award. Senior Bai Aimihoue earned the gold medal and the top score, and she was followed by senior Amilcar Garcia earning a silver medal (2nd place), junior Wilmer Salgado taking the bronze medal (3rd place), senior Natalie Ortega in fourth, and freshman Bruno Santana in sixth.
Garcia also earned a second silver medal (2nd place) in the Mathematics competition. In other events, junior Leslee Cruz earned a bronze medal (3rd place) in Ready Writing and finished sixth in Literary Criticism, while junior Mara Nezami was fourth in Headline Writing and freshman Paul Oh finished fourth in Computer Science.
Wisdom fielded an Academic Team of 20 students that competed in Math, Science, Journalism, Computer Science, Writing, and Social Studies as they prepare for the Houston ISD 2020 District UIL Academic Championships to be held at Wisdom High School near the end of March.