Youngsters Domingeaux & Gomez Leading the Way for Wisdom Basketball

Domingeaux (left) & Gomez (right)

Domingeaux (left) & Gomez (right)

Wisdom Chronicle

Domingeaux (left) & Gomez (right)

Wisdom Chronicle

Wisdom Chronicle

Domingeaux (left) & Gomez (right)

Dina Arefaine, Reporter

Two newcomers to the Wisdom Generals basketball program – Jaylon Domingeaux and Lesly Zelaya Gomez – have been early season spark plugs for our varsity teams. We caught up with them to see what motivates them to play basketball, and why they love it so much.
On the boys varsity basketball squad is freshman Jaylon Domengeaux, who is from Church Point, Louisiana.
He credits his family to motivate him to do well in basketball. “My grandma died, and I really wanted to make her happy, so I have to do well in school and on the court, because I want to make her proud of me.”
Jaylon and his team have a very close bond with each other, and he loves the sport he plays. “Having fun on the court and bonding with my teammates is what I love about it,” Domingeaux said. “I’m a goofy person, but on the court I’m serious, and I’m focused on getting better.”
These two basketball players are recognized by their coaches for their hard work, passion, and effort. You can tell they really care about their teammates, and that they work hard to win and to help their team get better by working hard to improve. The Generals recently posted a victory over Milby, and continue to get better each game.
For the girls, Gomez – a sophomore – was born and raised in Houston. What motivates her are the coaches and her teammates, who strive for her to work harder and achieve higher goals.
“Lesly is a straight-A student,” said Coach Thomas. “She has the kind of mentality to where she is focused on her goals and who she wants to be in the future.”
What she enjoys most about basketball is the intensity of the game, and the bond our team has created to get to where they want to be.
“My dream is to play for the U.S National Women Soccer Team and win a World Cup, but my shorter-term goal is to be a Division I student–athlete playing soccer at Stanford University in California, after graduating high school.”
Since we interviewed Lesly, she suffered an injury and has missed several games. But, senior Shadia Mutoni has stepped up her game, and helped lead the Lady Generals to several wins.