Generals Begin Training for 2020 Season on New Home Practice Fields

Coach+Fidel+Andrade+watches+as+his+varsity+soccer+players+practice+on+the+new+grass+field+in+front+of+the+new+Wisdom+HS+campus+building+near+Richmond+%26+Hillcroft.+This+is+the+first+season+that+the+Generals+have+been+able+to+practice+on+their+campus+in+five+years.+++

Wisdom Chronicle

Coach Fidel Andrade watches as his varsity soccer players practice on the new grass field in front of the new Wisdom HS campus building near Richmond & Hillcroft. This is the first season that the Generals have been able to practice on their campus in five years.

Jose Aguila Cortez, Reporter

Wisdom Soccer: We Let Our Feet Do The Talking.

The official Training Camp for our infamous Boys Soccer program began on Monday, December 2nd, as our team finally has a field to practice on here at campus. For the past four years, our team has been forced to practice off campus every day at local parks and other facilities, due to construction of our new facility and delays. Now, our new athletic fields finally have grass on them, and they are ready.

“It is great to be practicing right here at our campus, like all of the other high schools do,” said head coach Fidel Andrade. “We don’t feel like we are at a disadvantage anymore, and no longer have to deal with buses after school. The ground on the field is a little too hard right now, but we just have to water it more, to get it into the right shape.”

Coach Andrade has been conducting the training, and it can be very demanding, but also very rewarding. As always, his players are very important to him, and he gives his all to be able to train his players to be prepared for the upcoming season. When a strong opponent comes along, his goal is to allow his players to perform at their best. As the pre-season begins, he places the close to 100 athletes in our program on the various rosters (Varsity, JV-A or JV-B) in order to see what their potential ability is.

Having reached the UIL State 5A Final Four in 2018, Andrade’s squad finished in second place in District 23-5A last season, coming up one win short of another district title after losing to Sharpstown. The Generals will open the season on Monday, December 28 when they play a friendly match vs Spring Branch Memorial at 11 am. They then make another appearance in the Cy-Fair Invitational January 2-4, where they are slated to take on Cypress Ranch, Pharr Valley View, and North Shore.

“This year, I feel like our team will continue to get stronger, and it will be interesting to see what we have,” said Andrade. “But, regardless, we will be ready for all upcoming challenges, and the Wisdom Generals way will continue.”

Training is every day Monday to Friday, starting at 4:15 pm after school. If a player continually misses practice or is not passing all of his classes, he will be removed from the program until his situation improves.