Wisdom JROTC 11th Battalion Continues to Impress; as featured on Univision News

Wisdom JROTC students operate drills and practice marksmanship in the gun range

Ivan Chavez

Ivan Chavez

Ivan Chavez

Ivan Chavez, Reporter

The Wisdom JROTC program was recently featured on a video news story produced by Houston ISD Media and aired on Univision TV in spanish.

The Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools. The program was originally created as part of the National Defense Act of 1916 and later expanded under the 1964 ROTC Vitalization Act.

The main purposes of JROTC are to: instill patriotism, help develop leadership potential, promote community service, help cadets develop a higher sense of self confidence, provide information about the military as a possible career, and to develop positive life skills and self-discipline.

Did you know JROTC has teams too? The teams help provide students with a hands-on experience, by letting them try the equipment within the first days. Once students are on the team, they can develop leadership skills and expand their knowledge to further improve. In JROTC, they don’t leave anyone behind, and they make sure that every student that is willing to try, learns the most information in order to become a successful leader, not only in school but also in their community.

Currently, our JROTC has six teams and are still seeking new members. The teams consist of Flag Folding, Marksmanship, Color Guard, Physical Training, Academic Leadership, and Drill Team. The corresponding commanders for each team are: Andres Hernandez for Flag Folding, Adrian Pizano for Marksmanship, Araceli Loeza for Drill Team, Jesus Tenas for Service Drill Team, Jarely Vidana for Color Guard, and Blanca Salazar for Physical Training.

Practice for Marksmanship Team is from 7:30-8:10 am. Practice for the rest of the teams starts after school, from 4:00-5:00 pm. For further information, you may visit 1419B to talk to Maj. Corona or SFC Conrod.