CTE Students Learn Business Operations at HEB & Local Food Truck Yard

Wisdom CTE Dept.

Submitted

Wisdom CTE teacher Ms. Simmons recently had her students complete a food truck project on the four functions of business: Production, Marketing, Management and Finance. Upon completion of the class research and assignments, the students were afforded the great opportunity to go see first hand what a small business looks like, and learn about the other dynamics involved in the food truck industry.
On October 21, Business class students took a field trip to The Food Truck Yard, located at 2118 Lamar St. in Houston. In addition to having the opportunity to speak with the vendors and the manager, the Generals were treated to lunch. After, all students wrote a summary of their trip, and sent thank you cards.
“It was a fun opportunity to get away from campus and experience something that shows us what small business operations look like,” said sophomore Katherine Rodriguez. “It was a creative way to combine what we were studying, with a field trip.”

Other CTE Business classes also took a trip to a local HEB Grocery Store, where they were greeted by Ms. Meagan Williams (Area Community Coordinator). Students took a tour of the store and behind the scenes, and heard a presentation about different departments and careers offered at HEB. Department managers were able to share their occupation, benefits, job duties and store details, while the Pharmacy, curb side service, bakery, and store managers gave presentations.

HEB is one of our great sponsors at Wisdom High School. They have provided breakfast for back to school-staff meetings, and also awarded Tournament of Champions grants to the Pearls ($1000) and Law Enforcement ($2500) and many other in kind donations for our school. WE LOVE OUR HEB!

Ms. Simmons
Wisdom students at HEB Market