Wisdom Generals Begin to Rebuild Their 23-5A UIL Academic Squad

Wisdom HS UIL Team at Westside High School; Saturday, October 19, 2019.

Ms. Cho

Ms. Cho

Ms. Cho

Alyssa Vazquez and Sidra Hassan

Following their 2019 UIL State Championship in the Math competition of Calculator Applications, Wisdom UIL Head Coach Eridani Alcantar has begun the rebuilding process. He’s had no other choice, because all five of his top math students that captured the state title, graduated in May.
In the first UIL Academic Meet of the 2019-20 school year, the Generals took home third place in the Overall Sweepstakes and were able to win both the best team score and individual gold medal in Calculator Applications, on Saturday, October 19 at Westside High School.
Seniors Wei Jiang Lin Tan and Bai Aimihoue tied for the best Calc Apps score with 194. Senior Amilcar Garcia earned fourth place with a score of 182, and junior Wilmer Salgado earned 5th place with 168.
Wisdom Chronicle Editor Mara Nezami won the gold medal in News Writing with the top score of the competition. Nezami was Wisdom’s only other first place winner, as she represented the Generals’ Journalism Team that has won the Houston ISD 5A district title for the last three years in a row.
In other events, Lin Tan placed third in Computer Science, while junior Elhadji Toure came in fourth place. In Current Issues and Events, Toure finished third, while Nayelis Pedroso Estrada earned third place in Literary Criticism and Marlin Tax placed sixth. For Ready Writing, Wisdom took third, fourth and fifth place, thanks to the efforts of Leslee Cruz, Skyler Christoferson, and Sidra Hassan, respectively.
The team will compete again on Saturday, December 7 in the HISD Invitational at Waltrip HS.