Oct. 14-18: HISD Bully Prevention Week

Houston ISD

Staff Reports, Houston ISD

Throughout October, we are rallying behind National Bullying Prevention Month to encourage participation in a campaign to keep all HISD students safe from bullying – either at school, at home, or online through social media and texts.
The week of October 14-18 has been designated HISD Bully Prevention Week in conjunction with the Sandy Hook Promise “Start with Hello” campaign to raise awareness to a growing epidemic of social isolation. Each day during the HISD Bully Prevention Week brings a new opportunity to participate in activities to combat bullying.
Please join me in recognizing HISD Bully Prevention Week by observing the following:
• Monday, Oct. 14: Wear Orange & Say Hey Day
Students and staff are encouraged to wear orange to unite against bullying. Students and staff will wear nametags throughout the day and address each other with “Hello (name of person).”
• Tuesday, Oct. 15: Random Acts of Kindness Day
Students and staff are encouraged to start a random act of kindness movement by doing kind acts “just because.”
• Wednesday, Oct 16: Make Hello Global Day
Students and staff are encouraged to say hello and/or teach someone to say hello in a different language.
• Thursday, Oct. 17: Positivity Selfie Wall Day
Campuses will display a school-wide positivity, kindness, or smile wall where students can post positive messages, compliments, and notes of encouragement.
• Friday, Oct. 18: No One Eats Alone Day
During lunch, students across the district will use “ice breaker” cards to start conversations at the lunch table. Students will be encouraged to invite other students to sit with them and participate to ensure no one eats alone.
Please take pictures and post to social media using the #HISDStartWithHello hashtag so we can show our support on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you for your help and participation in making HISD a district of kindness and inclusivity.