Q&A with the Wisdom Four: Get to Know Our Counselors

Names from left to right 
Ms. Jasek, Ms. Maddox, Ms. Savoy, Ms. Campbell

Names from left to right Ms. Jasek, Ms. Maddox, Ms. Savoy, Ms. Campbell

Sidra Hassan, News Editor

Beginning the academic year of 2019-2020, the News Editing team decided to get a sneak peek into the lives of our school’s four grade-level counselors. So, we put together a set of questions to ask Ms. Nicole Campbell (9th grade), Ms. Lisa Jasek (10th grade), Ms. Rebecca Savoy (11th grade) and Ms. Kadiatu Maddox (12th grade). Here are their exciting responses:

1. What is the most difficult aspect of your position?

Ms. Campbell:  when I can only assist students and families to certain limitations. 

Ms. Jasek: Not enough time in the day! Sometimes… we can’t make everyone happy due to logistics or state requirements.

Ms. Savoy: Changing the master schedule after the year has started and having to spend hundreds of hours scheduling thousands of students.

Ms. Maddox: Having to speak with students that have not met STAAR qualifications for graduation and that is the only reason they are not able to graduate.

2. What do you love most about being a high school guidance counselor?

Ms. Campbell:  Assisting students (academically, socially and emotionally) to navigate one of the most important times in their lives and help groom them to become productive members of society. 

Ms. Jasek: Being able to help students reach their goal to graduate.  Assist and offer support with life, personal issues or simply just lending an ear!

Ms. Savoy: Being able to help students, provide insight to help students make better decisions that will impact their future.

Ms. Maddox: Seeing students overcome despite their obstacles and watching Cinderella stories develop over a student’s four-year journey.

3. What would be two interesting things that you’d be willing to share, that others might not know about you?

Ms. Campbell: I was born and raised in New York and I am new to Houston. 

Ms. Jasek: In my spare time I love to go to the ranch and I like to hunt. My favorite vacation site is in South Africa.

Ms. Savoy: I love to travel! I love public speaking, huge passion to be able to communicate with others.

Ms. Maddox: I love football and I have a desire to run a marathon one day.

4. If you were not a high school guidance counselor, what would you be and why?

Ms. Campbell: I would have been a salon owner. I was always interested in Cosmetology and owning my own business when I was younger. I wanted to give people confidence in themselves through hair. 

Ms. Jasek: A Director of Community Relations for a corporation where I would be able to donate money to schools and programs that lack funding.

Ms. Savoy: An Orator, Author, or School Principal

Ms. Maddox: I would be a party planner because I love organizing and decorating for events.