Houston Dynamo Midfielder Darwin Ceren Visits Wisdom Soccer Team

David Fanucchi, Journalism Adviser

Houston Dynamo Midfielder Darwin Ceren – one of the captains of the El Salvadorian National Team – made a visit to M.L. Wisdom High School in Houston ISD on Monday, to spend time with the Generals and their multi-talented Boys Varsity Soccer program.

Wisdom Head Coach Fidel Andrade served as a translator as Ceren spoke briefly and then answered questions for a group of about 50 students, in the school’s auditorium. Afterwards, he signed autographs while a Dynamo staff member gave the students each a pair of orange sunglasses.

“He’s a great player, and our athletes look up to people like him,” said Andrade. “The stories that he told and the advice he gave to our players is invaluable. For them to see and meet a professional soccer player, it means everything to them.”
The entire group posed for a picture at the end of the visit, which was made possible by Houston Area Businessman Michael Roa, who serves on the Wisdom SDMC (Shared Decision Making Committee). Roa grew up in the neighborhoods surrounding Wisdom (the former Lee High School campus), and played soccer in his youth.
“It was a privilege for our students to meet Darwin, and for them to hear his story about how he has persevered to get to this point in his career,” said Principal Jonathan Trinh. “Any time that you mention professional soccer to our students, it grabs their attention, and the message that these athletes have make an impact.”

David Fanucchi
Ceren with Principal Trinh