The Wisdom Chronicle

• Spring Break: March 11-15

Wisdom Stuns the Field to Win Region 3-5A Championship in Mathematics

Wisdom Chronicle

Wisdom Chronicle

Wisdom Chronicle

David Fanucchi, Journalism Adviser

April 13, 2019 – Waller High School; Waller, TX – 5:30 pm – Wisdom’s star-studded, senior-led team of Ethan Song, Aaron Ni, & Mauricio Guerrero have seen their skill take them to three straight State Championship berths in one particular event – Calculator Applications. Now, the group has advanced to State in a second competition for the first time, after they captured the Region 3-5A Championship as a team in Mathematics Saturday at Waller HS. Their team score of 822 points was 114 points better than College Station’s 708.
Song finished in 2nd place with a score of 300, just two points behind the Regional Champion Joshua Kolenbrander of Cedar Park. Ni was third with 278 points, and Guerrero was 5th with 244.
The trio will compete at the UIL 5A State Championships May 4 at the University of Texas in Austin in both Calculator Applications and Math, while Song will also compete in Number Sense for the first time.

Wisdom’s TEAM RESULTS at Regionals
Calculator Applications – 1st Place
Mathematics – 1st Place
Number Sense – 3rd Place
Computer Science – 5th Place
Science – 9th Place
Journalism – 18th Place

Wisdom “Mathletes” Three-Peat as Region 3-5A Champions in Calculator Applications; Head to 5A State Championship from Houston ISD for the 3rd Straight Year

1:30 pm: Known as the “Mathletes” at Wisdom High School, Ethan Song, Aaron Ni, Mauricio Guerrero and Victor Arreola – repeated as the Region 3-5A Champions in Calculator Applications for the third straight year – Saturday at Waller HS. They are also the two-time UIL Texas State Runner-up in that event, and they will now have one last shot at that elusive State title, when they compete at the UIL 5A State Championships May 4 at the University of Texas in Austin.
In 2017 & 18, the Wisdom Calculator Applications team was the only group of students from Houston ISD to reach State. They are all seniors now, so this will be their last attempt to win State.
Song took the individual Regional title with a score of 273, while Ni was second with the same score of 273, but Song won on a tiebreaker. Guerrero finished fourth with a score of 224, losing a tiebreaker to Joon Kim of College Station. Arreola was 5th with a score of 217.

Wisdom Valedictorian Ethan Song Advances to UIL Academic State Championship in Number Sense

11:30 am – Wisdom High School Class of 2019 Valedictorian Ethan Song has advanced to the UIL Academic State 5A Championship in the Mathematics competition “Number Sense” by finishing as the 2nd Place Runner Up at the Region 3-5A Spring Meet being held on Saturday, April 13 at Waller High School.

Song becomes the first individual to advance to the 5A State Championship in a UIL Mathematics competition from Houston ISD in recent memory. He is also the first student from Wisdom/Lee High School to reach the 5A State as an individual in a UIL competition since Principal Jonathan Trinh began rebuilding the school’s Academic Team in 2014.
The UIL Academic State Championships will be held on Saturday, May 4 at the University of Texas in Austin.

Wisdom Chronicle
Ethan Song finished in 2nd Place in Number Sense at the 2019 Region 3-5A Academic Championship.

Song’s score of 230 was second behind Regional Champion Joshua Kolenbrander of Cedar Park, who earned a score of 278. In addition, the Wisdom Number Sense Team of Song, Aaron Ni, Mauricio Guerrero and Natalie Ortega-Hernandez finished third overall as a team, with a score of 409. College Station advanced to State with a score of 509, while Cedar Park was runner-up with a score of 466.

Wisdom Chronicle
(L-R) Coach Cantu, Coach Alcantar, Guerrero, Ni, Song, Ortega-Hernandez, Trinh.

Wisdom’s District 23-5A Champion UIL Academic Team is competing today at the Regionals in Waller. Stay tuned here for updated results, as the Wisdom Chronicle will continue to update this story throughout the day.

NUMBER SENSE – Regional Results

About the Writer
David Fanucchi, Staff Adviser

I am now in my fourth year of teaching Journalism, Newspaper, and Broadcast News here at Wisdom HS. I assist my students in producing content for the Wisdom...