Last Minute Miracle! Generals defeat PA Memorial 2-1 in OT; Advance to Region 3-5A Quarterfinals

Wisdom HS

Wisdom HS

Wisdom HS

Ali Anwar, Reporter

The defending Region 3-5A Boys Soccer Champions from Wisdom High School have been living on the edge so far this year in each of their playoff contests. On Tuesday night in Port Arthur, the Generals were trailing PA Memorial 1-0 in their area round match, with under two minutes left in regulation. But, with 1:30 left on the clock, Antoine Kamenele found the back of the net off a corner kick, to keep Wisdom’s season alive and forcing the game into overtime.
Then, with 5:00 minutes left in the first OT, Francisco Ortiz scored off another corner delivered into the box by Amani Kwizera, and the Generals were able to hold off the Titans, to advance. They will next face Goose Creek Memorial in the Regional Quarterfinals.
It was almost an identical situation to what occurred in Wisdom’s bi-district round matchup against Richmond Foster. Wisdom trailed 1-0 after an early second half goal by the Falcons. But with under 8:00 minutes left, Ortiz headed in a goal off a corner kick to tie it, before Kamenele snuck a shot past the Foster keeper into the corner to win the game with under 3:00 minutes left in regulation.
There’s no doubt – the Generals have been living on the edge. But with their form returning, Coach Fidel Andrade is hoping his squad once again has the magic touch to return to State.