Wisdom’s JROTC 11th Battalion Strives for Excellence

The Wisdom HS JROTC Marches in the Houston Veterans Day Parade

Wisdom JROTC

Wisdom JROTC

Wisdom JROTC

Submitted

WISDOM JROTC WEBSITE

As the Wisdom High School 2018-2019 school year heads down the stretch, students are preoccupied in their own world, each coping with their unique situations. Within the confines of this complex and fast paced activity of this new Houston ISD high school campus, lies the 11th Army JROTC Battalion. And within the Battalion, students are coping with their respective grade level obstacles and challenges, while quietly and steadily focused on one more objective; striving for excellence in their fast approaching Army Cadet Command JROTC Program of Accreditation (JPA) or better known as an “inspection.”
The Battalion is comprised of over 180 cadets from all grade levels, and four companies: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. It is led by Cadet Battalion Commander Lieutenant Colonel Amy Garcia, her executive officer Major Jarely Vidana and her Cadet Command Sergeant Major Vilma Figueroa. As the battalion commander, Garcia is responsible for what the battalion accomplishes or fails to accomplish and is supported by Vidana. The Battalion staff run’s the day to day operation, plans and coordinates events and publishes the commander’s guidance to the battalion. The four company commanders this year are Cadet Captain Stefany Fabian, Cadet Captain Blanca Salazar, Cadet Captain Maria Renderos and Cadet Captain Ruby Perez. These commanders also have a team of leaders who assist them with their daily duties and responsibilities.

The JPA is an army wide JROTC inspection conducted to validate and confirm adherence to the JROTC curriculum. The test consists of a Continuous Improvement Brief, a Service Learning Brief and an In-Ranks Inspection. Mentored by the Senior Army Instructor Major Corona and Army Instructor SFC Conrod, our cadet leadership has been gradually ramping up for this inspection since the summer.
Every Monday and Friday morning even before the first period bell rings, Battalion staff meetings have been held, as leadership continues to focus on their only goal: placing first out of all 26 Houston ISD JROTC programs. In the last three inspections, the Wisdom battalion has finished among the top three, but has yet to claim the top spot.
Despite the intense focus on their inspection, our battalion must still meet all of their other requirements and responsibilities, as well as maintaining passing grades in all of their classes. Our color guard has supported over 30 events and our cadets have conducted over 10 service learning projects in support of our school and community. The Battalion has supported the countless evening events on our campus with the call of selfless service and determination.
The battalion leadership is keenly aware that their time to shine on that great stage is quickly approaching. They continue to rehearse, adjust, and perhaps shed a few more tears. For them, it isn’t just another test or just another school day. It is the day when they will be center stage, and their chance to show the Army, their instructors, our school, their parents and most importantly, themselves – that they can do it.