Film Screening Highlights Wisdom’s Black History Month Celebration

Faculty, Staff, Students and Special Guests view a documentary film in the library at Wisdom HS; Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019

Victor Arreola

Victor Arreola

Victor Arreola

Staff Reports

On Tuesday, February 26, Wisdom High School continued their month-long celebration of Black History by having a sponsoring student club “Empathy Without Borders”, host a screening of a short documentary film titled “In Their Footsteps – An American Muslim Civil Rights Journey”. The event was part of our effort to raise awareness about the history of slavery, civil rights and present-day racial injustice. The screening was attended by HISD Board Members Ms. Anne Sung and Ms. Jolanda Jones.

The documentary was followed by a discussion/Q&A with the following panelists:
• Ceil Roeger; Promoter of Justice, Peace and Care of Creation for the Dominican Sisters of Houston
• Deacon Sam Dunning; Director of the Office of Justice and Peace for the Archdiocese of Galveston – Houston
Head Deacon for Archdiocese Galveston/Houston
• Jolanda Jones; HISD Board Member
• Anne Sung; HISD Board Member
• Mustafaa Carroll; Texas Civil Rights Activist and CAIR Houston Board Member

Here is the trailer to the film that was viewed: IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS

The audience that participated in the panel discussions mainly consisted of selected Wisdom junior and senior students.