The Wisdom Chronicle

• Spring Break: March 11-15

Mural Planned For Front Brick Wall of Wisdom High School

Aisha Siddiqui

Aisha Siddiqui

Aisha Siddiqui

Aisha Siddiqui, chattx.org

Gulfton Story Trail Murals Will Highlight Gulfton’s Diversity and Rich History; Dedication Ceremony Scheduled for Friday, January 18 at Jane Long Academy

Culture of Health – Advancing Together (CHAT) presents the Gulfton Story Trail, a collaborative community project using poetry, public artwork, and photography to elevate Gulfton’s cultural heritage. As part of the Visit My Neighborhood grant program of Mayor Sylvester Turner’s Complete Communities initiative CHAT will act as a community leader by working with the residents of Gulfton in creating twelve murals located around the Gulfton area, including one that will be painted on the front brick wall of M.L. Wisdom High School (6529 Beverly Hill, Houston, TX 77057).

The mural will feature the Wisdom school colors of gold and black with the phrase “Together We Rise In Diversity” featured, along with many student bodies holding hands. CHAT has recruited a diverse team of artists who will paint the murals based on poetry submissions from local schoolchildren and community members, with themes pertaining to community, culture, family, and the concept of home.

Visit My Neighborhood is a pilot program that allows Houston Arts Alliance (HAA) to partner with community-based organizations to expand arts and cultural experiences for residents and visitors based on the knowledge and expertise in the local community. This program is offered in the five Complete Communities, Acres Homes, Gulfton, Near Northside, Second Ward and Third Ward. Earch partnership reflects the communities.

Gulfton is a community rich in culture and the aim of the Gulfton Story Trail is to promote the community’s heritage through public artwork, making Gulfton more accessible and desirable to both residents and visitors. This art installation is expected to attract over 10,000 visitors annually, touring various locations around Gulfton.

For information on this opportunity and Culture of Health – Advancing Together, please visit their website at http://chattx.org/ and follow CHAT on Facebook @CHATCultureofHealth.

For more information on the Visit My Neighborhood grant program visit, http://houstonartsalliance.com/opportunities/grants/visit-my-neighborhood

To learn more about the Complete Communities cultural strategy and other City cultural programs visit, https://www.houstontx.gov/culturalaffairs and follow the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs on Facebook @HoustonMOCA