The First Tee of Greater Houston Introduces Golf to Wisdom P.E. Students

Wisdom Chronicle

Alyssa Vazquez, Editor

As the most diverse high school campus in Houston ISD, a majority of Wisdom High School students have never seen the game of golf being played, let alone have they ever picked up a golf club.
So on Monday, December 10, Wisdom Athletic Director Bridgette Davis invited Doug Earle to bring his indoor beginning golf lesson program to the gym, to see how it would go during P.E. classes.
Earle – the Executive Director of The First Tee of Greater Houston – has worked with students all over the city and in Houston ISD. (https://www.thefirstteegreaterhouston.org/)
“The goal of our organization is to expose as many students as we can to the game of golf, teach them the basic skills, and allow them to have some fun for an hour,” said Earle.
The indoor clubs are designed to allow students to swing and make easy contact with a tennis ball. Students aim at small, velcro targets for chipping, putting, and a longer shot.
“At first, I wasn’t too sure of their (the students) reaction when I said that we were playing golf,” said Davis. “But the lesson was very engaging and once they paired up with a friend and got around to the different stations, they were really enjoying themselves. You could see the smiles on their faces. The First Tee does a great job and I thought it was a fun, successful day.”
Earle stayed at Wisdom for each of the first three class periods of the day, and engaged with over 150 Wisdom freshman and sophomore boys and girls. The Generals do not have a golf team, but perhaps this is the beginning of something that could develop down the road.