The Wisdom Chronicle

• Spring Break: March 11-15

Community Activists Come Together to Install Solar-Powered Garden at Houston ISD’s Wisdom High School

A+group+of+volunteers+that+helped+install+a+solar-powered+garden+at+Wisdom+HS%3B+Saturday%2C+December+1%2C+2018.+

A group of volunteers that helped install a solar-powered garden at Wisdom HS; Saturday, December 1, 2018.

Dave Fanucchi

Dave Fanucchi

Dave Fanucchi

Dave Fanucchi, Journalism Adviser

Various community-activist companies and organizations have come together to install what would be the first solar-powered garden, on the campus of M.L. Wisdom High School in Houston ISD.
A solar panel system provided by Texas Innovates (www.texasinnovates.org) – which is a branch of the company ReactWell in Louisiana (www.reactwell.com) – creates clean water that will be transferred to the garden by capturing water vapor from the atmosphere and turning it into liquid, using energy from the sun.
Wisdom Chronicle
“We are still determining when the best time of day might be here in this part of Texas, for the gardens to be watered,” Texas Innovates Representative Brandon Iglesias said. “But it will certinaly be at some point when the sun is down. We are excited to be able to bring this technology to a high school.”
Also helping to coordinate the project and build the garden boxes are Houston-based Advocacy group Vox Culture (voxculture.squarespace.com/), the Houston Rotary E-Club, the Wisdom Interact Club and the Wisdom Science Department.
“This is hopefully the start of us being able to create this kind of situation at other schools,” said Vox Culture representative Viktor Kopic. “Wisdom is the first benefactor of this garden model that combines innovative technology with the arts and community engagement.”
Wisdom Chronicle
A total of 12 wooden boxed gardens were installed in a grassy area that can be viewed outside the windows of the main hallway of Wisdom, between the Fine Arts Wing and the two-story, East classroom neighborhoods. It is adjacent to the outside courtyard that is used by the JROTC for drill rehearsal.
“I think everyone will really be able to enjoy watching the growth of the garden and how it blooms, through the windows of our school,” said Principal Jonathan Trinh.
Among the vegetables that were planted include beets, kale, and carrots along with a variety of other herbs. The healthy food items will eventually be shared among local families in need and could also end up in the Wisdom Cafeteria, for our own students to enjoy. A fresh crop could be harvested every quarter (3-4 months).
Wisdom Chronicle