The Wisdom Chronicle

• Spring Break: March 11-15

Wisdom Wins at Home; Takes 5A Sweepstakes at HISD Invitational #2

Wisdom's Overall 5A Sweepstakes Trophy and Team Trophies in Journalism & Calculator Applications

Wisdom HS News

Wisdom HS News

Wisdom HS News

Staff Reports

The Wisdom Generals won a home game on Saturday by capturing the top overall sweepstakes score among 5A high schools at the Houston ISD UIL Academic Invitational #2 held at Wisdom High School. Carnegie Vanguard High School won the 6A sweepstakes.
The two-time defending Houston ISD 5A Overall Academic Champions were once again led by their compelling Calculator Applications Team – a group of students that have finished 2nd in the State of Texas in that particular Mathematics competition in each of the last two years. This year, their goal is to win the State title. On Saturday, they took a step forward by earning five of the top six scores in the event.
“We continue to push our students towards excellence, and to keep their eye on the prize,” said Coach Eridani Alcantar. “And we look to train the younger students so that we can maintain our success after this main core group graduates.”
Senior Aaron Ni won the gold medal, while senior Ethan Song was 2nd and senior Mauricio Guerrero was third. Junior Alyssa Vazquez finished fifth, and junior Victor Arreola earned sixth place to help the Generals grab the Calculator Applications team trophy. Song earned gold medals in Number Sense and Mathematics.
Wisdom’s two-time, defending district champion Journalism team (Twitter: @wisdmjournalism) also had a great day, capturing the overall team trophy in the five events. Vazquez – who is the Editor of the Wisdom Chronicle (www.wisdomhsnews.com) – won a gold medal in News Writing and finished fourth in Headline Writing. Skyler Christoferson earned a gold medal in Editorial Writing and a silver medal (2nd) in Feature Writing, while Arreola took home the gold in Headline Writing. Senior Class President Belinda Obasi earned a silver medal (2nd) in News Writing.
“Our young writers and editors continually try to advance their skill, and they help us produce great news stories for our school,” said Journalism Adviser and Coach David Fanucchi. “I’m proud of the way the Journalism program and our entire UIL Academic Team is developing, because the support from Principal Trinh is tremendous.”

Other winners for Wisdom on the day included:
Sidra Hassan – 2nd Place – Headline Writing
Ethan Song – 3rd Place – Computer Science
Wei Jiang Lin Tan – 4th Place – Computer Science
Aaron Ni – 5th Place – Math
Nashira Hassan – 6th Place – Headline Writing
Mauricio Guerrero – 6th Place – Math
Team 2nd Place – Number Sense
Team 2nd Place – Math