The Wisdom Chronicle

• Fall Semester Final Exams (Dec. 17-20)

Padilla & Salazar Appear as Guest Speakers at Wisdom HS as Part of Hispanic Heritage Month

The Wisdom HS 5th Period Theater Production Class with guest speakers Ariel Lopez Padilla (Actor) and Brianda Franco Salazar; Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018

David Fanucchi

David Fanucchi

David Fanucchi

Staff Reports

As part of Houston ISD’s celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month (October), Wisdom High School was honored to have two famous Mexican-Americans appear as guest speakers in Mr. Morin’s Theater Production class on the morning of Thursday, October 11.
Ariel Lopez Padilla – a well-known actor in Latino Soap Operas and Films – was born in Guadalajara and began acting at a young age. Padilla was thrilled to speak with high school students who might have the same passion for acting as he does. “It was amazing and inspiring because we connect about the experience of being an actor,” said Padilla. “I enjoyed answering their questions and discussing how actors can become part of the community that you grow up in.”

David Fanucchi
Padilla signed autographs for Wisdom students after he spoke to the class.

Brianda Franco Salazar is the great grand niece of Mexican Revolutionary War Hero Emiliano Zapata Salazar (1879–1919). Zapata was a leading figure in the Mexican Revolution, the main leader of the peasant revolution in the state of Morelos, and the inspiration of the agrarian movement called Zapatismo.
Speaking through a Wisdom High School student who was interpreting her answers, Brianda Salazar spoke about the fact that she never knew Zapata, but that she has heard many wonderful stories about him and his heroics.

David Fanucchi
Salazar speaking through an interpreter, to the students

“I was very emotional, to have a chance to speak to these students who are the future of the world,” said Salazar. “The kids were very sensible, and I enjoyed discussing our roots and heritage.”
The guest speakers were arranged by Wisdom Theater Arts Instructor Martin Morin. “What a pleasure it was to have them both here today,” said Morin. “It was an exceptional way to continue to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and we were honored that they chose to spend some time our students.”

About the Photographer
David Fanucchi, Staff Adviser

I am now in my fourth year of teaching Journalism, Newspaper, and Broadcast News here at Wisdom HS. I assist my students in producing content for the Wisdom...