HISD Students Make Memories of a Lifetime at Pro Soccer Match

Houston ISD students hold up the flag of Mexico prior to the soccer match at NRG Stadium; Friday, Sept. 7, 2018.

Fidel Andrade

Fidel Andrade

Fidel Andrade

Rafael Espinoza, Student Reporter

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS WITNESS MEXICO VS URUGUAY GAME AT NRG STADIUM

It was a night that we won’t soon forget: a chance to watch the Mexican National Soccer team compete in an exhibition match against Uruguay at NRG Stadium. I was lucky enough to be among a group of Houston ISD students that were chosen to attend this event. Not only did we get to see the game, we were able to enter the stadium early for a VIP Tour of the locker rooms of both teams, the Houston Texans locker room, the media interview room and the workout facilities.

Wisdom HS

Then, just hours before the match began, we felt what it was like to walk through the tunnel, where the players would enter the field.
“We are very thankful to the people who were able to give us this opportunity,” said Spanish teacher Fidel Andrade, who chaperoned the students to the match. “We had a great time.”
I really enjoyed seeing the media room, where all the news reporters sit when interviewing athletes and writing their stories.
“It was an incredible experience,” Assistant Principal and Chaperone Sandra Garza said. “An amazing opportunity for Houston ISD students.”

Wisdom HS

During the soccer match, we got to see great players like Luis Suarez, Diego Godin, and Jose Maria Jimenez perform on the field. Uruguay ended up winning 4-1, but we will never forget seeing this soccer match and the passion of the fans in the stands.