• Senior Trip to Florida: May 17-19

• Class of 2018 Graduation: June 1 at 7 pm (Delmar)

• Student Council Meeting: Mondays

Wisdom Chronicle Outgoing Editor Astrid Escobar Says Farewell; Encourages Students to Take Journalism

Senior+Astrid+Escobar+has+been+the+Wisdom+Chronicle+News+Editor+for+the+past+two+years.+She+will+be+attending+the+University+of+Virginia+on+a+full+scholarship.+
Senior Astrid Escobar has been the Wisdom Chronicle News Editor for the past two years. She will be attending the University of Virginia on a full scholarship.

Wisdom HS News

Wisdom HS News

Astrid Escobar, News Editor

If there is something I will miss from my years in high school, it will be my time as Editor of The Wisdom Chronicle. In this position for the past two years, I have learned one important truth: there is nothing that cannot be expressed through the written word. Everyone in life should learn their own means of expressing themselves: writing has become mine. It has been such a pleasure and above all things – an honor – to have voiced the ideas and feelings of over 2,000 students through our news website and telling stories of the events that took place on our campus. This opportunity was offered to me by my Journalism teacher for the past three years: Mr. David Fanucchi.
As a member of our back-to-back (2017 & 2018) District 24-5A UIL Journalism Championship Team, the school newspaper and website went through a lot of changes. When I became Editor, we launched our school’s very first online student news website. Much thought was dedicated to what the name of the news site should be, as our school’s name changed from “Lee High School” to “Margaret Long Wisdom High School.” So, we decided to retire “The Traveler” (which was the name of Robert E. Lee’s horse) and give our website a whole new name. At first, we just called it Wisdomhsnews.com, but finally decided to name it “The Wisdom Chronicle” based on the name of the City of Houston’s major daily newspaper.
In my opinion, we had a school spirit issue prior to Mr. Fanucchi’s arrival. Pep rallies, school dances, and other events lacked the participation and enthusiasm necessary for them to be worthwhile functions. Fanucchi always brought the most candid techniques to employ school spirit, a gift that not many teachers have. He taught my graduating class that it was important to have a good time while representing our school, and he gave us motives to want to be involved and aware of the events that occurred on our campus.
If you may be considering taking Journalism at Wisdom or becoming a part of the news team, the family that the Journalism team will become to you as a member of, is incomparable to any other on campus. The many talented photographers, writers, and TV news reporters that I worked alongside with will forever be nestled among my most precious memories and experiences. Most of all – your Journalism Teacher and Media Adviser Mr. Fanucchi (who I will be in everlasting gratitude for) will become a supporter of your academic pursuits and a friendly coach beyond the classroom.
Whether it was at Balfour Summer Camp at Texas A&M University or the Media Summits we traveled to, or even just spending quality time in the Newsroom, being a part of our Journalism department is nothing but rewarding. As I pursue a higher education and embark on my college journey, I will be taking with me a developed passion for telling stories and writing news that I discovered here, in the comfort of Wisdom High School, and with the grand support of Mr. Fanucchi.
I know that the Wisdom Chronicle will be left in the hands of students who are as passionate about Journalism as I am, because Mr. Fanucchi enjoys what he does so much, that working alongside him ignites your passion. The Journalism Team has represented Wisdom with the highest honors, and I hope that winning tradition continues for years to come.

Astrid Escobar
Wisdom Chronicle News Editor 2016-18
Wisdom High School Class of 2018
University of Virginia Class of 2022