Wisdom Football Moved to District 9-5A

Wisdom Football Moved to District 9-5A

Alyssa Vazquez, News Editor

Following today’s UIL realignment announcement, the Wisdom High School Football Team has been moved to District 9-5A in Division 1 starting in the 2018-2019 school year. The Generals will now be competing against the following schools (only in football): Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, Galena Park, Houston Austin, Humble Kingwood Park, New Caney, New Caney Porter, and Port Arthur Memorial.

“It is certainly a much more diverse set of schools we will be competing against. For the road games, we will have some travel situations that we will need to adjust to by leaving school earlier in the day,” Head Football Coach Jacque Tinsley said. “Preparing against these very good football teams will certainly be a big challenge for us.”

There was no change to Wisdom’s athletic alignment for other sports like basketball and volleyball. All of those teams will remain in District 23-5A, competing against the same Houston ISD teams that we have been for the past several years. The UIL realigns districts in sports competitions every two years, due to attendance number changes.

The other 5A football teams from Houston ISD schools that Wisdom used to compete against (like Sharpstown, Northside, and Madison among others), were moved to Division 2 District 11-5A against schools like Fort Bend Marshall, Willowridge, and Manvel (which was the State Runner up in 2017).