• Student Council Meeting: Mondays

WHS Interact Club: Serving the Community

Some members of the Wisdom HS Interact Club, at their meeting on January 10, 2018

Serigne Toure

Serigne Toure

Gaelle Elias, News Reporter

Interact Club – a community service organization – is operated by a small group of students here at Wisdom, and is under the direction of Ms. Forssman. Senior Lamisa Rehenuma is the President of the club and Senior Angela Gesner was elected as the Vice President, and they help Forssman operate the club of approximately 15-20 students.

Starting with the purpose, the Interact Club helps students obtain their community service hours needed for college applications. “Since it’s named Interact, we like to communicate with others and make sure that we get experience with our leadership and be able to build our communication skills,” said Gesner.

Moreover, the meetings are held every Wednesday after school from 3:15 to 4:00 pm in room 2119. What they usually do, is that they start with a two minute drill called the 4-way test. “We do this because it is a set of guidelines we follow to help us remember the importance of our club and to motivate us to keep the tradition alive,” said Gesner. “Basically, this helps us all remember our responsibilities.” After that, they talk about what their plans are moving forward, and what they are going to do to for upcoming events and fundraisers.

Adding to this, the club is focused on working together as a group. Everyone only has one goal, which is to help people. This idea can motivate others to take the step in their own lives to help society and the environment. Also, it’s a way of sharing their thoughts and experiences with others. “We play games that help us get to know one another,” said Rehenuma.

For this spring semester, Interact is planning to fundraise so that they can plant trees in Houston’s Memorial Park. And they will also use the money raised for other community projects. But they are always looking for new members to join their Club. It is a perfect opportunity for people that are aspiring to make a change in their community. “It’s a fascinating organization to be a part of,” said Rehenuma. “This club gives you different experiences in life and makes you discover the beauty of serving your community.”