• Summer Break: June 1 - August 26

• Class of 2018 Graduation: June 1 at 7 pm (Delmar)

Communities in Schools Hosting Winter Coat Drive

Marco Lainez and Crystal Cazares

Communities in Schools is hosting a Winter Coat Drive and asking for your help by donating gently used winter coats of all sizes. Coats can be dropped off in the collection boxes by the main entrance and CIS offices in rooms 1109 & 2109.

“We ask that people donate coats, so that our at-risk students can protect themselves from the cold and won’t have to worry about the many risks of getting sick,” CIS Worker Cindy Hoyos said.

CIS is a program that helps students and their families, many who have a higher risk of dropping out. They face several obstacles, including failing classes, teen pregnancy, homelessness and family crises. CIS helps students to keep themselves in school and to be successful in life while helping their families who need necessary help.

The results of the CIS program is that 98% of the students of this program remain in school, and 94% of CIS high school students graduate.

CIS attempts to bring the Five Basic Concepts to students at a high school – The essential elements that each child needs and deserves: An individual relationship with an affectionate adult, a safe place to learn and grow, a healthy start and future, a marketable skill to use after graduation, and an opportunity to help your partners and the community.