• Summer Break: June 1 - August 26

• Class of 2018 Graduation: June 1 at 7 pm (Delmar)

Genesys Works: Building Young Leaders of Tomorrow

Sedrah Jamal, News Editor

If you were given a chance to change your life for the better, would you take that opportunity? Students in the Class of 2018 are already a step closer to a greater life by being a part of the Genesys Works program. Genesys Works is a non-profit organization that strives to change the lives of rising seniors to help them become the faces of tomorrow. The 14-month paid internship program gives seniors an opportunity to become young leaders and professionals, bringing them onto the path of success.

As a current intern for Genesys Works, I can personally say that it is truly a life-changing experience. Before joining GW, I was afraid of what the future had in store for me. I felt overwhelmed by the stress of applying to colleges, getting a job, and becoming a part of the real world. That all changed when I heard about Genesys Works. I applied for the 8-week summer training program and went through the process of three rounds of interviews. When I found out I got accepted into summer training, I was filled with excitement. I knew my summer wouldn’t be wasted, and I’d be putting my time towards something that would pay off in the end.

During training, you develop the skills needed to excel in today’s world of work.  Training sessions include learning proper business etiquette, problem-solving, and communication skills. You find new strengths and improve your weaknesses. Although training can get a little difficult at times, you will always have fun.  You’re surrounded by support and friends coming from schools all around Houston, making you feel comfortable and happy to be in such a positive environment.

After completing training and being selected as an intern, you’ll be placed into an internship with one of the 200 corporate partners Genesys Works pairs with. Some companies include Kinder Morgan, Methodist Houston, and JP Morgan Chase. You will work 20 hours per week, leaving school mid-day to successfully work from 1-5 p.m. In your job, you will be a major asset to the company and complete real, meaningful work.

Throughout the course of your internship, you’re provided with the opportunity to have counseling on college and career readiness. GW staff assists you every step of the way with choosing colleges, FAFSA, scholarships, and lots more. They help relieve you of the stress you encounter during your senior year of high school and are always willing to help. You also have 1:1 meetings with your assigned Program Coordinator which is designed for you to discuss your issues and what steps you need to take to be prepared for graduation. You are pushed to do more than what you’re capable of and take advantage of every opportunity put in front of you. If it weren’t for the help of my Program Coordinator, I wouldn’t have applied for all the scholarships I’m eligible for. Your coordinators make YOU their first priority and she or he is willing to invest time and effort into your future

“Genesys Works has changed my life,” said Jessica Lusekelo, senior, member, and ambassador of Genesys Works.

“I’ve gotten a chance to have a glimpse of how the professional world actually works and I like it because it gives young individuals a chance to boost their confidence like never before. We get to reveal a side of us that leaves everyone around us astonished.”

Genesys Works is a once in a lifetime chance that you won’t regret taking. It’s a program that’s full of fun, support, and change. No matter who you are or where you come from, Genesys is a place that will help you come a long way and become somebody. It’s where tomorrow’s workforce begins.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Genesys Works: Building Young Leaders of Tomorrow”

1. Debora Akimana on October 10th, 2017 6:49 pm

I love this story, it will help inspire other students to join the program. Good job on the story Sedrah.

[Reply]

2. Rubi G on October 12th, 2017 9:16 am

Awesome! Proud to be part of this Organization:)

[Reply]

3. Jessica Lusekelo on October 18th, 2017 4:28 pm

Great Job Jamal!! I’m proud of you

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Genesys Works: Building Young Leaders of Tomorrow

Student Life

National Honor Society Inducts 18 New Members in Class of ’19

Student Life

25 Law Enforcement Students Earn Security Officer Certificates; Ocampo Hired as Loss Prevention Specialist at Walmart

Student Life

Tia VanWright Wins PEARL of the Month

Student Life

Free Debate Camp for Interested Generals

Student Life

Lock-In Night: Stay the Night Event for Upper Classmen

Student Life

Student Internship Opportunities & Resume Writing Workshop

Student Life

Y-ABC Giving Young Adults a Chance to be Active in their Community

Student Life

Start Looking Now for Your Summer Job Opportunity!

Student Life

Seniors Headed to the Rodeo on March 9; Other Class of 18 Important Dates Announced

Student Life

Check Mate! At the Royal Rooks Chess Club