• Homecoming Week: Oct. 16-20

On the Road to College with Senior Vanesas Villatoro

Villatoro
Villatoro

Villatoro

Vanesas Villatoro

Vanesas Villatoro

Villatoro

Astrid Escobar, News Editor

The class of 2018 has a list to check-off before they get ready to go, the checklist on the road to college. Senior Vanesas Villatoro recently walked us through the process as she does so herself.

Villatoro has made a part of the organization Upward Bound for three of four years throughout her high school experience, meaning, she knows little about high school without the helping hand of UB, an organization with the mission of aiding students in preparation for college.

“I highly recommend for students to join Upward Bound if you haven’t already, because they give you support with all of the application process, they are even there when you are having difficulty with your essays,” said Villatoro.

Among Villatoro’s paramount concerns is being able to describe herself on paper. As we all know, almost always, colleges will unfortunately, only get to know you through your essay.

The colleges that she is looking at all admit through the traditional application process. She will be applying to Texas A&M University, Brigham Young, A&M at Prairie View, University of Texas, among others. All the colleges on her list are in Texas, according to her desire of studying in-state.

Villatoro really wants to attend to A&M but is open to other options. When looking at colleges she is applying to, she keeps in mind the diversity and culture found at the campus and the financial aid they are willing to offer her.

As a current student in the process, Villatoro advises the Class of 2019 to start on their essays over the summer, before embarking into the senior year journey. She urges current juniors to really research colleges and consider aspects that are most important to them, when looking at the campus where you will be studying for the next four years of your life.

“We have a lot of resources on campus that we need not to take for granted. There are many factors that come into play on the race for college and we assess all those here. Be sure to be informed on the process,” said Villatoro. Mr. Bard teaches a college readiness class for seniors where he provides key insight and details for college.

Key roles on campus throughout your senior year may be found in the college center, Mrs. Smith-Davis and Mr. Rodriguez, they have access to all the information that the traditional application requires of you. Ms. Savoy, can arrange your schedule for you to be able to have not only the amount of credits you need, but the right classes to be on track for graduation.

Finally, on your way out, you will meet with Ms. Moran for your graduation wrist band and you cap and gown!

“Always use Mrs. Smith-Davis as a point of reference,” said Villatoro, “and don’t be afraid to stop by the college center often.”