Teachers Encouraging all Students to Take AP Exams; May 1-12

Marcos Cervantes and Uriel Noyola

The 2017 AP Exams will be administered during the first two weeks of May. The school will be responsible for notifying the students when and where to report for exams. According to collegeboard.org, early testing or testing at times other than those published by the College Board is not permitted under any circumstances.
Teachers from different AP courses shared some tips and advice for students taking the AP exam for their class.

AP Physics teacher Mr. Almonte: “Try to memorize the basic formulas.”

• May 2 AP Physics Exam

AP English Literature teacher Ms. Forssman: “Read, read, read – look up every word you don’t know and focus on the picture.”

• May 3 AP English Literature Exam

AP Calculus teacher Ms. Martyr: “Make sure to get plenty of rest the night before and do practice tests because the questions are similar to the ones you’ll see on the exam.”

• May 9 AP Calculus Exam

AP Government teacher Mr. Thetford: “Study and try to remember the important objectives of the history subject you’re testing on.”

• May 4 AP United States Government and Politics
  • May 5 AP United States History Exam
  • May 11 AP Comparative Government and Politics & World History

To better prepare for these exams, students had the opportunity to go on a field trip for a test seminar on April 12 at the Toyota Center. The students that participated in the field trip attended an AP US History seminar.
At the beginning of the seminar, students were given a review packet that would help them out if they’re struggling to understand a certain concept. They were also given another packet that explained the type of questions that would be asked and the events that happened in various eras in history.
Students that are taking US History are well aware that they’ll be testing on May 4 for the US History STAAR, a day before the AP US History test. Unlike the STAAR, the AP exam will cover events that happened further back in history. US History teacher Mr. Clarkson says that his AP students are more than ready to take the AP test and will be using the remaining time to review concepts.
“The school is paying money so that students can take the AP in high school,” Clarkson said. “Students should take the test seriously because it will normally cost $92 to take an AP test outside of school.”
There will be tutorials on Saturday, April 29 from 9-12 p.m. for students to gather in as much knowledge as possible for test day. “Myself and other US History teachers will be there,” Clarkson said. “Students are invited to come to learn extra information or ask questions.”