Wisdom Wins District 24-5A UIL Academic Championship

Savoy

The 2017 Wisdom HS Generals UIL Academic Team won the Overall Sweepstakes Championship for District 24-5A.

Sedrah Jamal, News Editor

On Saturday, March 25, the Wisdom UIL Academic team traveled to Westbury High School to compete in the Houston ISD Championship, and for a chance to advance to Regionals. The Generals performed at their best, and dominated the event to win 1st place in eight out of 11 team competitions, including Computer Applications, Mathematics, Science and Journalism.
“It was the culmination of a lot of hard work by our students and especially our teachers and coaches, who prepared our team for this event,” said Principal Jonathan Trinh. “I could not be more proud of our entire team for their effort and dedication, and we are excited about our chances at the regional meet.”

Principal
Mr. Jonathan Trinh
Head Coach
Eridani Alcantar
Assistant Coaches
Gaylyn Smith – Accounting
Jettie Greene – Computer Applications
Nicholas D’Amico – Speech and Debate
David Fanucchi – Journalism
Hongyan Li – Science
Barani Gopannan – Computer Science
Ms. Savoy – Counselor

• Of Special note, is our Calculator Applications Team (Mathematics)
o Ethan Song scored a 238 to earn the highest score in ALL of HISD and ALL of Region 3 schools.
o The Calculator Applications team scored a 623 Team Score, which is the highest team score in ALL of HISD and ALL of the Region 3 Schools.
o The team members are:
 Ethan Song (10th Grade)
 Yashwanth Gurijala (12th Grade)
 Aaron Ni (10th Grade)
 Mauricio Guerrero (10th Grade)

In all, the Generals advanced 40 students to the 5A Regional Academic Meet to be held on Saturday, April 8 at Magnolia High School.

Click on the link below to view a full list of the contestants and winners from the 2017 HISD Academic meet.

http://utdirect.utexas.edu/uil/elc3_pub_meet_comp.WBX?s_year=2017&s_conference=5A&s_level_id=D&s_level_nbr=24&s_meet_abbr=SPM