Houston Texans WR Deandre Hopkins Visits Wisdom HS; Speaks Out Against Domestic Violence

Houston Texans Wide Receiver DeAndre Hopkins speaks to students about domestic violence at Wisdom High School on March 10, 2017

David Fanucchi

Eddy Chity and David Fanucchi

Houston Texans wide receiver Deandre Hopkins paid a visit to Wisdom High School on Friday, March 10, in an appearance for AVDA to speak to high school athletes about the damaging affects of domestic violence.
In front of a packed gymnasium and a full throng of television and newspaper media members, Hopkins spoke about how his own mother was a victim of domestic violence, and how that episode has changed his life.
“Since the age of twelve, I’ve been playing sports, but my mom has never seen me play football since then, because she was a victim of domestic abuse and lost her eye sight,” said Hopkins.
The outstanding talent went on to share how he lost his own father when he was a baby, and how that despite what happened to his mother, he didn’t let it stop him from doing what he wanted to do in life.
“I think all young men and women need to respect one another, especially when they are in a relationship, and to not disrespect the other person,” said Hopkins. “It’s also important that if you see something in another relationship that is not right, to step up and to help out. Don’t stay quiet. Be there for the other person and help, be a good friend.”

Wisdom High School was honored to have Mr. Hopkins here on campus today, and we thank him for his time and message.