Acknowledge your learning skills with the PAIR Program

Stephanie Salazar, Reporter

As many of you know, Wisdom High School is known to have a very unique and diverse community. Having a diverse community has its benefits, however, there are many problems that arise with the students when it comes to learning in a new country. PAIR is a program that offers students the ability to get and offer help. As their mission states, “PAIR empowers refugee youth to navigate American society, reach their academic potential, and become community leaders through educational mentoring programs.”

With many new students coming into Wisdom from different countries, it’s important that students know of these resources available to them. Deborah Akimana, a member of PAIR since 7th grade, describes PAIR as a way to take advantage of the opportunities presented.

“There’s just so many benefits that come from being in PAIR,” Akimana says. “It helps juniors and seniors with scholarships and applying for college.”

Johara Jibril, also a PAIR member, feels a sense of belonging with the program. “I’m in a community that I feel I understand,” said Jibril. “You feel like you’re a part of something. I go to PAIR to set an example, I want to help those who are in need of a friend.”

PAIR has many program managers that help keep everything on track, one of those managers being Shaina Holm. “It’s definitely a lot of work that goes into managing PAIR,” said Holm. “But it’s also very worth it because hanging out with these kids, getting to know them, and helping them be the best they can be is really what it’s all about.”

PAIR has meetings every Tuesday and Wednesday after school in the library. Anyone can join so just stop by!