What’s a Favicon? Ask Students in Ms. Gopannan’s Class

Favicon done by Muskan Taneja.

Muskan Taneja

Favicon done by Muskan Taneja.

Ahsan Ali and Sedrah Jamal

Nowadays, our technology advances in several ways, playing a big part in our daily routine. Work and communication is usually done on a computer or on a phone. But, do we know how this works? How are we able to reach a designated website? What’s the process for sending a message to a DNS server? These questions should come to mind when using a computer or any mobile device that accesses the internet.

A favicon is an icon associated with a URL that is variously displayed, as in a browser’s address bar or next to the site name in a bookmark list. Every color and picture is represented by what is known as bits. Students in Ms. Gopannan’s Computer Science course have been creating their own favicons in the format of bits or hexadecimal.

To get a better understanding of the history of favicons, students watched a short video on Instagram founder Mike Krieger. In the video, Krieger talks about how pixels work. Pixels are tiny dots that compose an image. The computer controls each pixel individually. Most monitors have hundreds of thousands, or often millions, of pixels that are lit or dimmed to create an image.

By creating a favicon, students are able to demonstrate their knowledge of pixels, bits, hexadecimal format, and transforming numbers into colors to make something unique and exciting.