Garza’s Cross Country Team Looking to Repeat as District Champs

David Fanucchi

The Wisdom Cross Country team was introduced at the Homecoming Pep Rally.

Keven Romero, Sports Editor

The Wisdom Cross Country team has high potential and is prepared for the upcoming challenges of the 2016-17 season. Their first District Competition will take place on Monday, October 10.

Coach Garza shared his thoughts for the season. “After graduating seven of our ten runners in May, this 2016 season only has two returning Varsity runners. I am hoping that the experience that both of our Captains, Dawitt Mogos and Imnet Petro, have had on Varsity in previous seasons, is enough for them to lead the Wisdom Generals to another District Championship.”

Much like other sports that use outdoor facilities, the construction has put a strain on the team’s practice. Their running routes have shifted several times, but they were dedicated enough to train in neighborhood parks and streets to get extra mileage in during this season.

“The goal of this season is to make the Cross Country team the foundation for a solid Track and Field team next semester,” said Garza. “I would love to see another District Championship trophy in my classroom, but I understand that this year is a growth year for both the team and myself.”

If you were not aware, the team is well known in both Cross Country and Track and Field as the Gold Standard in our district, earning the respect from schools of the same capabilities: Lamar, Bellaire, Memorial and Stratford.

2016-17 Cross Country Team

Boys                                                                                                      Girls

Captain: Dawitt Mogos (Returning Letterman)               Captain: Imnet Petro (Returning Letterman)

Saif Ali                                                                                                  Mary Caceres

Seaare Gebrekiadn                                                                         Nadhia Gonzales

Ismale Kalifa                                                                                      Katherine Romero

Awot Mehari                                                                                      Hashley Solis

If anyone is interested in running Cross Country or Track and Field, please get in contact with Coach Garza in room 215 as soon as possible.