• Class of 2017 Graduation: Sunday, May 28 - 4 pm Delmar Fieldhouse

Wisdom Generals Win Silver Medal in Calculator Applications at UIL Academic State Championship

%28L-R%29+Wisdom+HS+Principal+Jonathan+Trinh%2C+Yash+Gurijala%2C+Ethan+Song%2C+Mauricio+Guerrero%2C+Aaron+Ni%2C+Head+Coach+Eridani+Alcantar.+The+Generals+finished+in+2nd+Place+in+Calculator+Applications+at+the+UIL+Academic+State+Championships+at+the+University+of+Texas+in+Austin.+
(L-R) Wisdom HS Principal Jonathan Trinh, Yash Gurijala, Ethan Song, Mauricio Guerrero, Aaron Ni, Head Coach Eridani Alcantar. The Generals finished in 2nd Place in Calculator Applications at the UIL Academic State Championships at the University of Texas in Austin.

Picasa

Picasa

Dave Fanucchi, News Adviser

Austin, TX – In their first appearance at the UIL Academic Texas State Championships, the Wisdom Generals Calculator Applications team made a valiant effort, but came up just short of a 5A state title. Instead, they walked away knowing that they remain one of the best in Texas, finishing in second place as the runner-up team to State Champion Mount Pleasant High School.
The Generals team consisting of senior Yash Gurijala, and sophomores Ethan Song, Mauricio Guerrero, and Aaron Ni totaled a score of 680 points, just 55 shy of Mount Pleasant. Corpus Christi Flour Bluff, Lubbock, and El Paso Del Valle rounded out the top five.
“What a tremendous accomplishment this is for these young men,” said Principal Jonathan Trinh. “I couldn’t be prouder of the way they competed today, and represented Wisdom High School as well as Houston ISD.”
Individually, Song’s score of 259 was good enough for a third place finish and a bronze medal. Song tied for third with Kimberly Garza of Mission Veterans Memorial, while Josh Jones of Mission Sharyland won the individual state championship with a score of 280.
“I wasn’t expecting too much coming here, because I knew that we’d be facing the best in the state,” said Song. “So, to finish third and receive the bronze medal, and for us to almost win the state title, I’m really proud of myself and my teammates. We practiced very hard and dedicated a lot of time and energy into this, so it’s nice to see the hard work pay off.”
The Region 3-5A & District 24-5A Champion Generals were the lone team representing Houston ISD in any Academic event here in Austin. Carnegie Vanguard (6A) sent one individual representative here to the State finals.
“We are going to be a tough team to beat, as this was just the start for us,” said head coach and Lee High School alum Eridani Alcantar. “With three of our team members being only sophomores this year, they will be back for two more years, and our goal is to take the next step, and win the state championship. But to finish as the runner-up this year, we are extremely excited about that.”